- SAP has for years been making false and exaggerated claims around HANA and S/4HANA. Brightwork Research & Analysis is one of the only entities to contradict SAP.
- We combine global data points from implementations, as well as technical research into HANA and S/4HANA.
Introduction to HANA and S/4HANA
HANA and S/4HANA have been major marketing tentpoles for SAP since transitioning from Netweaver as the primary marketing focus. SAP uses HANA and S/4HANA to make very large claims around performance, TCO, usability (with Fiori for S/4HANA), etc..
In this article, we will describe our research in this area, the general quality level of information on S/4HANA and HANA and our S/4HANA and HANA consulting services.
In SAP’s haste to create an “event” around HANA and S/4HANA, SAP has taken a lot of liberties with the truth and has made a lot of exaggerations.
SAP’s HANA & S/4HANA Exaggerations
SAP has made so many exaggerated statements about S/4HANA and HANA that when we have confronted SAP proponents with them, they are quick to change the subject.
- Of all publishing entities, Brightwork Research & Analysis has published the most in-depth analysis of both S/4HANA and HANA.
- After doing all of this research, we opened a S/4HANA and HANA consulting service to answer questions for SAP customers and vendors that compete with SAP. We do not implement S/4HANA or HANA. We provide research and explanation as to these two items.
The Information Available for S/4HANA and HANA
The information available around S/4HANA and HANA is of very poor quality.
In most cases, the information that flows to customers and vendors about HANA or S/4HANA originates from either high-level executives (often from presentations at conferences like SAPPHIRE, or through paid placements in media entities like ComputerWeekly or Forbes), or through sales reps. In both cases, these individuals either don’t know the technical details of HANA and S/4HANA or don’t care what is true or not true. They are there to pitch a storyline about HANA and S/4HANA that will maximize the likelihood of people buying HANA and S/4HANA and implementation services.
There is no alternative for them.
Examples of Poor Information on S/4HANA and HANA
- SAP has stated that HANA has a lower TCO than Oracle and DB2. (This is impossible because HANA is both a higher priced product than Oracle and it far less mature than Oracle.)
- SAP has stated that S/4HANA is completely different from ECC. (Independent review of the code of S/4HANA shows that it is roughly 93% the same as ECC)
- SAP has stated that HANA has zero latency and that the entire database is column oriented (Later in the SAP technical documentation it is declared that HANA uses both rows and column-oriented tables.)
Why Should The First Option for Information on S/4HANA and HANA be the Last Resort?
The last place to go for the real story on S/4HANA or HANA is SAP sales reps or SAP consulting partners. This is because virtually all the money in the market is for promoting S/4HANA and HANA rather than evaluating and research SAP’s claims.
Other Information Sources?
Companies like Gartner and Forrester have already been paid by SAP to write glowing reports on S/4HANA and HANA. Gartner humiliated itself in its coverage of HANA, and Forrester wrote a report that stated these products have a lower TCO than ECC on Oracle, DB2 or SQL Server. That is impossible.
All of this leaves companies that want to find out the real story about these products out in the cold.
Getting the Real Story on S/4HANA and HANA
We have no relationship with SAP and have the largest research database on these topics. We are paid by customers that want to find out the truth about HANA and S/4HANA.
Financial Bias Disclosure
Neither this article nor any other article on the Brightwork website is paid for by a software vendor, including Oracle, SAP or their competitors. As part of our commitment to publishing independent, unbiased research; no paid media placements, commissions or incentives of any nature are allowed.