- For years SAP has said that Design Thinking sped implementation times.
- In this article, we review the accuracy of this claim.
What SAP Said About Design Thinking Speeding Implementations
Design Thinking is a creative concept that SAP has adopted, or tried to adopt and how uses so liberally that they have diluted much of its meaning. Design Thinking is yet another concept that SAP has introduced that SAP states will speed implementations. This includes the ASAP Methodology, Preconfigured Solutions, and RDSs.
The Truth About Design Thinking
SAP applications take the longest to implement of any of the applications we track. This is illustrated in our Project Planning Calculators. There are some reasons for this.
- SAP makes very complex software.
- SAP uses outside consulting companies to perform the vast majority of implementations, and outside consulting companies want projects to go on as long as possible.
- SAP releases less mature applications than do most competitors.
- SAP requires extensive customizations on most accounts to make up for the expectation that SAP would provide more functionality coverage than it does.
None of these things are addressed by Design Thinking. Rather, Design Thinking as with the implementation shortening initiatives that preceded it is designed to get customers to think they can implement SAP applications faster than they can.
Conclusion and Calculation
SAP receives a 0% accuracy rating on Design Thinking and speeding SAP implementations.
Link to the Parent Article
This is one of many research articles on a specific topic, that support a larger research calculation. For the overview of the research calculation for all of the SAP topics that were part of the study, see the following primary research A Study into SAP’s Accuracy.